Wednesday 15 October 2014

POST 3: Babaaláwo Of Our Times. Chapter 2: Friday



Chapter 2: Friday



As I slept, I had a vague idea of what manner of confusion I wished to awaken to. I will not go into such visions of wanton debauchery, for lewdness is not the point of this story, but the note was very far from anything I had throbbing in mind. It read:

Donald,
      The bills have been paid.
      They will say the bills have not been paid because that is what they say.
Leave as soon as possible or there will DEFINITELY be bills to pay.

Regards,

Donald.


            I should have been confused, but the note seemed irrelevant. I was struggling with my memory. All recollections of whatever hospitalising misadventures I had embarked on currently evaded me, but as though seeking attention - to make sure all else remained completely irrelevant - a piercing pain shot through one of my lower ribs, and as I screamed out loud, an image ran through my head: I saw one of the men from the bus stop leaping up high and stamping down furiously on something. He leapt up and stamped down as he descended with the ferocity of one trying to douse flames from his feet. Another image flashed by as well. It was one of several more of the commuters by the bus stop and some of the policemen leaping and stamping down with the same ferocity of the first man. Somehow, I knew I was the fire they were all trying to douse. And then I remembered I had slapped a policeman on a Tuesday.

            It seemed as though every inch of my body was on fire, but my head set unattainable standards. Not from the pain of any trauma - like that which engulfed every other part of my body - but as though it was bubbling away; overheating; about to spontaneously combust from working so hard at identifying new zones of pain to familiarise me with.

            Only my eyes did not hurt and I was grateful for this. I observed two figures at the entrance to the private ward I was in arguing loudly in Derigbe over a bit of scrap paper. Somehow, I knew their argument had something to do with the note I had just read. I briefly wondered how I came to be in a private ward. I know where people who slap police officers and military men end up, and those places resemble nothing like the relatively luxurious surroundings I was in. 

The room was large, about four meters by five. It was painted a dull shade of cyan and had thick cobwebs encroaching from all corners. All the walls were bare, except the wall opposite my feet. On it, a large shabby poster warning of the dangers of sexually transmitted diseases dangled crookedly. Beside the poster, a flimsy framed photograph of the country’s military Head Of State hung loosely off the wall. His dozy saggy eyes and droopy lower lip (which you just knew he had tried desperately, but unsuccessfully, to stiffen for the photo) were arranged very awkwardly on his wide flat fat face. It was as if his face was a thick stew, and his features had been stirred into place - stirred badly, by a weakling using a ladle with a broken handle. There was absolutely nothing symmetrical about any of the features on the large head on the long neck inside the thick khaki collar. I know there is nothing in The Guidebook To Military Dictatorship which specifies unsightliness (I have seen very good looking mass murdering tyrants in my time) but nobody ever accused this President of not covering all angles. His whole face drooped downwards, as though melting away. And nothing was in sync with it’s partner: the right eye was at least half an inch higher than the left; the left nostril was at least a quarter of an inch wider than the right, and so on. For unknown reasons, he reminded me of someone who would fall asleep into a bowl of porridge - like a halfwit’s denser younger brother‘s sidekick.

            I knew I was in a hospital room on the ground floor of a quadrangle, because to my right hand side, through the only window in the room, I stared across a small square patch of grass about twice the size of the room I was in - on which, half a dozen youngsters ran around kicking about something which they had concocted into a football. Across the courtyard, in a room the same size of mine, no less than twenty people lodged in various states of infirmity. Some chatted away jovially on bunk beds – lying on bare springs as the mattresses were not on view – and others doubled over and leant desperately against anything they could grip. One patient clung onto the burglar proof bars which barricaded the courtyard windows of the ward with both hands, as if begging for freedom, or holding on to the bars for dear life - letting the drip rack, which trailed after him sway carelessly through mid-air and pulled at the dressing at the back of his right hand. A terrible grimace was embedded on his face and on seeing his expression, I began to wonder whether he thought he would relinquish something greater than his life if he let go of the bars. And if not, why not?
             I was laying on a thin mattress on a very narrow metal bed which was one lively sway away from completely collapsing, and every time I turned, I felt the worn slack springs beneath dig into my back and innovate a fresh breed of agony. Beside the bed, on my left, a rack holding an empty drip bag wobbled ominously at every slight stir. On my right, a small oak side table - which looked remarkable sturdy and quite out of place amidst all the metal - seemed to be restricting the bed from swaying too violently in that direction. It was the only thing in the room which seemed as though it was not about to collapse. On this table were: a bunch of dusty plastic flowers in an even dirtier vase, a half empty glass of water, and the note.
             One of the figures at the door - who was dressed as a nurse, but approached with airs of an overzealous bailiff - made her way towards the bed after some prompting from her colleague, and without bothering to look at me - actually making a point of turning her head away as she stood before me, as though I was some unsightly effluence disgracing her vista -  regally thrust the piece of paper she was holding into my face, and withdrew it even before I had a chance to read a single letter on the note. I told her I wanted to read what she was presenting me with, and with a sigh, a huff and a hiss, she thrust the piece of paper into my face again dismissively and held it steady for me to read. The piece of paper was small - about half the size of her palm - rectangular in shape, with serrated patterned cuts to its top and bottom ends, as though torn from a till. The centre of the sheet was white as new, but its edges had disintegrated away as though it had been fingered exhaustively over the years. It was badly stained with ink smudges and dirty finger prints, but was still clearly legible. A ledger of printed text ran down a face. I did not take it from her, but read what was typed:
          DN400      1No  Toothpaste
           DN600      2No  Rothman King Size Cigarettes
           DN750      1No  Sanitary Towel
           DN400      1No  Economy Brand Plantain chips
           DN12,000   1No  Dunlop Elite Car Tyre
Total:     DN32,200

            She began running through her script very quickly in pidgin English, but I cut her off  - telling her I spoke Derigbe, which I assured her I spoke fluently and would prefer to converse in. She flinched slightly, but then grudgingly obliged me. Her indolent stance also became slightly more rigid, more respectful. I like to think she suddenly realised she had taken a lot for granted.  

            Even though she still held the very legible piece of paper close to my face as she spoke, she began telling me it was a hospital bill which was well past due. She looked well into her forties. She could perhaps have been younger, but the tribal marks deeply embossed into her face aged her somewhat. She was short, stocky, and quite overweight; with short cut hair no longer than the perfectly manicured red fingernails that clawed at the note she shoved in my face. She spoke her native tongue with all the heated antagonism with which the language can be volleyed in. She was not being particularly aggressive - as is so easy to confuse anyone who speaks more than a sentence of Derigbe to you might come across as being; with all it’s D’s and GB’s straight from the stress-pit of one’s lungs - but she was making a point of being particularly aloof. 

            She finished her lecture, and then stood pouting as though she couldn’t understand why she should have to tell me to pay the bill in the first place - as though it is something which I really ought to have done without her prompting. I did not respond immediately, so she started again. As she reran through her routine of just how much quality medicine had been lavished on me, and how many painful hours she had personally spent overseeing my recovery, I never thought to tell her that if she was the owner of the convenience store receipt she was trying to pass off as a hospital bill, then she was running nothing more than a relay scam. That she herself had been hoodwinked - thoroughly bloodyfooled – sometime in the past, as not only was she trying to pass off a convenience store receipt as a hospital bill, she was trying to pass off an incorrectly tallied convenience store receipt as a hospital bill. It never crossed my mind to mention to her that a couple of shopkeepers had probably also conferred at her expense after sizing her up, and were now a bit richer and happier for her stupidity. Instead, all that ran through my head was: “what kind of store sells both car tyres and toothpaste.” 

Funnily enough, there are no laws against selling toothpaste and car tyres under the same roof, but at what point does one think: “I know what the customers who come in here to buy car tyres could do with - toothpaste!”? I just couldn’t understand it. How did it make sense (economic or just plain common) to stock both toothpaste and tyres under the same roof? Surely one of those products would be failing woefully - needlessly taking up valuable display space. If you go into a convenience store to pick up some toothpaste, and you stumble across a stack of tyres for sale, you wonder if it’s The First Of April. If you go into a car mechanic’s garage to get your tyres replaced and see a toothpaste isle, you take your car elsewhere because you know the man you’re about to leave your vehicle with completely lacks focus. That’s the way I see things, if you want to make progress in life, you either stock toothpaste or tyres - not both. 

            Not long after thoughts of tyres and toothpaste withered away, and I began to focus again on the ongoing monologue - which had descended into the realms of convolution and offence, as I heard several mentions of my “bad upbringing” come up - I decided I was not going to discuss the matter with her, so all I said was: “I have paid the bill. Go away,” and then turned my head away, to imply I had no intention on discussing the matter any further. I know not to discuss such matters, or even state that I have no intention to discuss such matters, but to briefly state my mind, turn my head away, and then remain silent. A discussion with someone who tries to pass off a badly tallied convenience store receipt as a hospital bill will only be worth a lunatic’s while, and I have not been mistaken for a lunatic for a while. She will think: “I have tried to play you for a fool, and you are here debating this. So you must be a fool.” That conversation would go on forever as well. I would stick to the line: “I have paid the bill, prove I have not,” and in frustration, she would have started saying harsh things about my masculinity, my race and my odour, and I would have been forced to keep asking her for proof of my non-bill-payment which, she would only have searched for within the realms of braver and more personal insults.
            After a few moments, my complete lack of attention to anything she might have been saying must have told her I was in the know, so she frowned, kissed her teeth in irritation, rolled her eyes rapidly several times up and down - eyeing me, the only time she cast a glance in my direction - and then sauntered away towards her giggling colleague with more pride than I thought she was due. As she walked away, each stride she took stomped more confidently than it’s predecessor, and her chin was held so high, that for a while, I thought she was sniffing around trying to place some illusive odour. I understood her conceit – extortion was her game: commonly played by most of her countryfolk, from the President right down to disabled beggars. It’s the national sport, and in this case, she had only just failed to conquer a tricky enemy. In her mind, she had done nothing wrong: she knew no shame for what she had just done and would feel no reason to ever familiarise herself with such a concept.

            Truth be told, I do not know why I told her I had paid the bill - as was written in the note on the oak table - because the note was not addressed to me. My name is not Donald, and to my recollection, I have never before been called Donald. In fact, when I think about it, I know no Donalds either. But for some reason, I figured it was what I was expected to say. As she stood scowling and lecturing me, with a hand on her hips and tapping her feet impatiently - as though I had personally begged her for money in the past - I knew I was meant to say: “I have paid the bill. Go away.”

            I suddenly became very tired. Waking up to the fraudster’s troubles had drained whatever energy reserves I had built up in the time I was out cold, and my head began throbbing so much that I thought I was going to vomit - you know, the kind of throbbing where you can actually feel something in-between your ears pulsating, and your eyes pushing out of their sockets? 

            I shut my eyes hard and clenched my teeth tight to keep the pain away, and thankfully, I began to drift away slowly. But the darkness I fell into was very fleeting, as I soon began to see visions of a store I knew I owned: I was behind a counter, standing in front of a tall shelving rack with dozens of foreign cigars, cigarettes and rolling tobacco. I was smiling and handing over some change to a young pretty woman who had just bought two note pads. Not far from the cashiers, some young children were being chastised by one of my assistants for helping themselves too generously to the Pick-And-Mix confectionary. A pregnant woman stood at the electronics section of the store agitatedly fiddling with a calculator whilst also trying to draw the attention of another store attendant who was actively ignoring her. I saw this and shouted out angrily to the attendant, and when he looked at me, I pointed towards the pregnant woman, indicating she needed to be served. He immediately raced to her with a rueful smile, as though he had not heard all her previous calls, but yet, ought to have. She smiled back at me thankfully, and as she did so, I caught a flicker of some activity in the corner of the store behind her. Something was going on in that corner which I couldn’t quite make out. Behind some shelves on an unfamiliar isle, two items were being juggled. One item would come up high above the top of a shelf, and as it fell back down, another item would fly up after it. I knew there were just two items, and I knew they were both being juggled - as one just knows these things in dreams. And as I focused on the items - trying to make out what they were, I heard the voice of the juggler echoing all around me, but I knew I alone could hear him. His voice was deep and haunting, and his words trailed off with a rasp. And each time one of the items descended - just as it was about to disappear beneath the line of the shelf-top before the other item would emerge – the voice would ask: “How much? Donald, How much?” 

            The voice was unnatural - augmented from its natural pitch to a higher screech. It did not sound that dissimilar to squealing metal brakes. It was also penetrating and heavy. A sound which got beneath your skin and settled there. But yet, it was organic - with its rasps, and the faint sound of breath intake evident at the start and end of every sentence. It sounded unnatural, but at the same time, not in the least bit mechanical. I knew it could only be the voice of a living being, which, was the most unsettling thing about it. I became very terrified. Finding out how much the juggled items cost suddenly became very important. I thought if I answered correctly, I could silence the voice forever. And as I squinted hard to try and make out what was being juggled, I felt myself drift away even deeper - drifting into realms beyond my store with my stationary, and my electronics, and my Pick-And-mix, and into a blackness which I knew could both last forever, but also seem like no time at all. But before I fell into that daze, I caught sight of one of the items being juggled: it was a porridge drizzled head of the Head of state - adorned with the same dozy eyes and droopy bottom lip - doing a summersault as it reached the peak of its ascent, and then unbelievably, it smiled at me, and then winked as it made it’s way down. I screamed out loud as this happened - in horror at the winking head, and in agony, as the same rib which had been bothering me earlier seemed to have torn itself out of my sides. And as I drifted lost into the darkness of dreamless slumber, it was a new terror that drew me hurriedly in, as I saw the second item rise up from beneath the top of the shelf-line, on the isle labelled PERSONAL HYGENE, high above a vast selection of toothpaste tubes. I saw it was a car tire - big, round and black - and it stopped in mid-air. It just stopped; hovering conceitedly in mid-air, above the toothpaste. In my store.

No comments:

Post a Comment